The Latin America Employee Relations Group successfully launched 23 February 2016 at the inaugural membership meeting in Miami, FL. Three dozen members provided guidance for LAMERG's focused activities in the coming year, including:
Creation and delivery of four key training programs.
Based on member requests and feedback at the exploratory meeting in April 2015, Executive Director Steve Gilbert presented outlines and proposals for four key training programs that address key company needs. Each program is designed to include both lecture and hands-on skills practice, and, based on member feedback, will be developed in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
- Recruitment and Talent Attraction in Latin America - learn and practice skills to source candidates, evaluate resumes/c.v.’s, conduct behavioral based interviews, and better identify truthful answers. Also learn about techniques to use social media and open recruitment models.
- Understanding Latin America Employee and Labor Relations Overview – provides general knowledge and insight about high level current topics and themes, and a context for asking local leaders and labor practitioners informed questions as part of employee relations or labor planning activities. Also supports a network of human resources and employee relations professionals with shared interests and approaches.
- Latin America Negotiation Preparation and Negotiations Simulation – provides insight about contract preparation, contact costing, contingency planning, negotiations techniques, and identification and preparation of the management negotiating team. Also provides a meaningful negotiations experience with LR experts portraying the union, and real deadlines and stress events.
- Leading from the Inside Out – Cross Cultural Leadership – provides an understanding of different Latin American communication styles and behaviors. • A personal cultural assessment will be provided via the CultureActive tool and a comparison to the new country (or countries) A Behavior Tracking & Action Plan will be created to support new leader assimilation in the new team and/or country.
Creation and launch of small, regional networking groups.
Support small informal, local gatherings/dinners for HR and labor leaders of member and “like-minded” companies on a regular basis. Members have agreed to serve as hosts in six cities:
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- New York City, N.Y.
- Miami, Fla.
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn.
Planning of twice-annual membership meetings.
LAMERG members plan to gather twice a year through 2018, with February meeting taking place in Miami, FL USA, and September meetings taking place in region. Tentative dates are:
- 27-28 September 2016 – Panama City, Panama
- Late February 2017 – Miami, FL
- September 2017 – in region TBD
- Late February 2018 – Miami, FL
Other communications initiatives.
Members also expressed interest in flash briefings via webinar or conference call, a quarterly newsletter, and notification of events from partner groups that are relevant to member interests.
As these initiatives are flushed out and ready for delivery, they will be announced on http://www.lamerg.com/.
Complete details may be found in the presentation for the LAMERG Inaugural Membership Meeting.